The first settlers arrived in this area in 1798.
In 1822, the town was named Cobourg to commemorate the marriage of Princess Charlotte to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, Germany. (The extra O in Cobourg is believed to have been an error made by a clerk.
The town built the magnificent Victoria Hall between 1856 and 1860 when residents believed their town could be chosen capital of Upper Canada.
To-night the winds begin to rise
And roar from yonder dropping day:
The last red leaf is whirl’d away,
The rooks are blown about the skies. – Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809–92)