The Toronto Belt Line Railway opened in 1892. It was constructed as two separate loops both starting and ending at Union Station. The east branch followed the Don River, entered the Moore Park Ravine and turned west at the Mount Pleasant Cemetery. The passenger train service was never profitable and was discontinued after two years. The city purchased the land in 1972 and it was turned into a bike path.
There is a considerable variety of plant life along the trail:
After a brief rainfall, this amazing site appeared in our neighbourhood:
There through the long, long summer hours,
The golden light should lie,
And thick young herbs and groups of flowers
Stand in their beauty by. – William Cullen Bryant (1794–1878)