Sun Valley, located in the Crothers Woods area of the Lower Don Valley, was used as a landfill for many years until its closure in 1965. Beneath the ground, waste 20 -25 meters deep exists throughout the site’s 8.4 hectares. Although the early stages of Sun Valley’s naturalization resemble a meadow habitat, the ultimate goal is to restore the area to a forest ecosystem.
On the warm and perfumed dark
glows the firefly’s tender spark. – Horatio Nelson Powers (1826–90)